Monday 20 April 2015

Projects

Urban Photography

For my first project I was asked to take some shots from a subject that I had picked, I decided to do Urban Photography. Before I went out and took some pictures I researched some photographers online and got some information about how I would need to take the shots. I created a PowerPoint to show the brief, what equipment I would need to use and which photographers I had chosen to research. 
As I thought that Urban photography was a big subject I created some subheadings that they would fall into such as street photography, abandonment and more.







Then after doing a bit more research I went out to take some images for my first shoot. The images include cityscapes, abandonment, narrative and a few more subjects that I thought fell into the urban landscape category. Some of the photographs were taken over the past year as I thought they tied in well with the project. 



  • This first photograph was taken in Saltburn over looking the sea. I have used a filter to boost the colour of the images and make the sky look deeper and the clouds fluffy. The rose is the main focus point in the photograph. The colour makes it very distinct and noticeable to the eye. The greenery and the sky contrast well together as their colours are very vibrant. In the background you can see the horizon which forces the eye to consider the whole of the image rather than just what is in the foreground. It also gives the image depth and a warm feel to it.
  • This photo was taken in Blackpool overlooking the sea front. I adjusted the vibrancy using Photoshop to make the colour of the sand more yellow. The railings are the focal point of this image and draw your eye in to look at the surroundings. Although this image would probably look more attractive to the eye if it was on a brighter day I think it adds to the urban look.



  • This typewriter was found in a garage. One of the main things I find interesting about this image is that it tells a narrative and makes you wonder if there was a story about it. Also the fact that you can see the dust and because the whole image is in black and which it gives it an authentic look. The shadow behind the keys looks distinct and as it has white in the background it makes the image look more effective. I took the image from above so I could capture the detail.



  • This is the typewriter taken from the side to try and capture it from a different angle and perspective. Using my Canon 600D I changed the setting on my camera to 'Av' and set the aperture to f/5.6 so that the shutter can capture more light and make the shot narrower so that it focused in on some of the keys and made it look more effective.






  • Using Photoshop I adjusted the contrast and vibrancy on this photo to boost the colours. In the background and the foreground on the bricks and the walls there is debris on them which adds to the whole urban effect. The white watering can stands out against the red bricks and they contrast well together.



  • This image was also taken on my Canon 600D. This photograph turned out well as it is sometimes hard to capture movement when you are not able to judge it. As the black cat is in the center of the image surrounded by the white background it makes the cat look very distinct and draws the eye into their green eyes. I adjusted some the levels and the brightness to darken the black and make the green in the eyes stand out. I think this image would look better if I took the cat in a better landscape as then it would maybe fit into the subject a bit more. Another way I could improve this photograph would be to convert it to black and white 




  • This image was taken of the Infinity Bridge in Stockton. I adjusted the brightness and contrast on Photoshop to get the colours of the bridge and the surroundings to stand out. As I took this photograph on a night it looks a lot more effective as I have captured the lights reflecting onto the river. The light from the bridge shines onto the infrastructure and shows you the detail. 





  • This image was taken of a wind farm in Hilton. I am quite pleased with the outcome of this photograph as it was taken on a nice evening through a car window and sometimes it is hard to not take capture any marks or reflections. I used a simple filter over this photo to make the whole image stand out. I positioned the wind farm to the side of the image and tilted so it wasn't the center but still catches your eyes along with the clouds that grab your attention. 






  • This photograph was taken with an iPhone 5c. I converted the image into black and white using VSCO cam which is a photo editing app for smart phones. Although the image is very dark, the tones are very calm and look soft. The patterns used give the picture structure which makes the image look appealing and help add to the interest of the subject. The dark background emphasises the subject and controls the composition to create mood. The petals on each flower are different shades of grey scale. 




  • This photograph was also taken using VSCO cam. The white flowers and the black background contrast and compliment each other. The center focus fills most of the frame. This image could tell a narrative and it could also allow people to think about different ideas. It could be represented as a symbol of life and death. If I had taken this photo with an SLR then I could increase the exposure time so that it would create a crisp, fresh look.






  • In the past I have done projects about abandoned houses and buildings and I did some research into professional photographers. One of the photographers that particularly caught my eye and who I remember well is Kevin Bauman. He produced a project called 100 Abandoned Houses where he began to photograph the abandonment of Detroit in the mid 90's. Kevin said that he had always found it to be amazing and depressing that what once was a great city had found itself to be in great distress. 

Taken from 100abandonedhouses.com


  • These photographs below were taken at Tunstall Mansion in Hartlepool. I think that these images tie in well with the urban project. One of the main reasons why I particularly like taking photos of abandoned places is because they make you think of a narrative and come up with different ideas and questions of what made them become empty and who went there before. One of the main themes that is associated with this project is isolation and the feeling of emptiness. 













A Photo A Day


For my second project I decided to do the photo a day challenge. Using Photoshop I created my own A Photo A Day image with each day and the subject on. 





01 - Light






02 - Morning Ritual






03 - Black and white


04 - Shape






05 - Fresh


06 - Nature








07 - Season






08 - Abstract





09 - Sunset





10 - Inspiration





11 - Pastel








12 - Angle 











13 - Old























14 - Calm








15 - Trip







16 - Grown up



17 - Reflection
18 - Something Green


19 - Colour





20 - Peace







21 - Tattoo




22 - Pretty





23 - Scenery


24 - Passion












25 - Quote



26 - Tone


27 - Stars






28 - Vintage




29 - Adventure






30 - Close up











31 - Fun











Tranquillity

This was a small project I created whilst I spent 3 weeks in Menorca, Spain. The photographs include photographs from different places on the island that particularly caught my eye and demonstrated the beauty. The light tones and peaceful colours contrast well together and add to the calm and tranquil setting.












VSCO CAM PROJECT

VSCO Cam is one of the most interesting photo apps that is easy to use and offers interesting effects for shooting and editing. VSCO has 10 different filter options and allows you to select a filter and gives you a scale of 0 to +12 of how much or little you want to fade the image on the selected filter.

The photographs below were taken in Menorca, Spain. One of the things I like the most about taking these photos on VSCO cam is the filters that I have picked make the photographs stand out by the vibrant colours. The photographs also show and emphasise the relaxed and calm atmosphere which is what it's like over there. Some of the photographs like the one of the main city Mahon gives up a glimpse of the culture and what people are like over there.  






















These photos below were taken in and around my house.









All images taken and copyrighted by me




No comments:

Post a Comment