Wednesday 29 April 2015

Unit 17

Unit 17: Prepare Camera Equipment for Each Day's Shoot

Understand relevant equipment, materials and related issues

1.1
The key equipment that I will be using for today's shoot is my Canon 600D with a standard 18-55mm lens. The lens has a switch where the focus can be changed from auto to manual which allows you to have more control of the quality of the image. I will also be using a polarising filter which helps to boost colour and contrast; it also manages reflections. I will also be using a camera strap to make sure that the camera won't be dropped. As I haven't had time to prep then I will only be using my camera with a filter but normally I would use a tripod so that the shots I am taking are more steady. I could also use an external flash if I was needing to brighten up certain things in the image. 

1.2
An example of testing equipment could be when using a tripod the legs would need to be working properly. If they were stiff and not able to extend you would need to use a lubricating agent such as WD40. Also the top of the tripod would need the correct head so that the camera was securely placed on top and could not fall in any way. You would also need to test the camera making sure that the batteries are fully charged before each shoot and making sure the lens is not damaged in any way.

1.3
Not handling the equipment correctly could lead to it being damaged and could possibly make it unusable in the future. Incorrect handling could include dropping them, exposing them to water and leaving them out of the cases. Exposing any equipment to water could lead to permanent damage. Dropping a camera could make it unusable, depending on the type of camera you could shatter the lens.


1.4
Using a camera bag is essential as it makes sure that the camera is packed away safe and so that it can't be damaged in any way. Some camera bags are larger which allows you to carry more than one lens. This is useful as the lenses are then kept away from any dust which can effect the quality of the shots. The tripod would need to be packed away properly by folding down the legs. If you were using reflectors then they would need to be packed away carefully. 

1.5
To clean the camera you would use a clean cloth to wipe any dirt or smudges that could effect your shot. When cleaning the lenses you should put a few drops of lens cleaning solution on a cloth or lens tissue working from the outside of the lens to ensure that oil and fingerprints are removed. It is important to clean your equipment regularly as it can effect your image quality and it can become high risk to lens scratches.

1.6
When using my Canon 600D I changed the batteries by opening the catch on the bottom of the camera and a small door opens so you can carefully remove and change them. When charging the batteries I use the correct charging port and plug it carefully and safely into the socket. When they are finished fully charging a green light will appear on the charger base, which means you can remove them and turn it off at the socket on the wall.


1.7
Camera equipment can be bought on any electrical site online or in store. 

1.8




     
















Be able to liaise with appropriate personnel

2.1
This screenshot is taken from a conversation I had with my peers to organise a time and location for the shoot. 


2.2
As I was taking behind the scenes shots of the film my peers were making we had to make sure that everyone had the correct equipment for the shoot. The equipment that we used was:

  • A Tripod & Head
  • Canon 600D
  • Canon 1200D
  • Canon 550D
  • A Microphone 
  • Headphones


Be able to select, prepare, organise and manage relevant equipment for a shoot

3.1
This is a template of a call sheet. A call sheet is a term used by filmmakers that is created by an assistant director. It is given to the cast and crew of a film so that they know when and where to report for a particular day of filming. They also include contact information, the schedule and the location of the shoot. The sheet also has safety notes attached to it. It is important that cast and crew are given this information prior to a shoot.




3.2-3.9
I have taken pre-production photos prior to the shoot. I tested the lighting by making sure that the white balance was correct. I also need to test the camera equipment to make sure that everything was working before I took it outside to shoot. 
As this was a test shoot if I was to revisit this site I would use a tripod so that the photographs I took were less unstable. I could also use reflectors so that I could control and direct where the light hits the scene or the subject. I used a graduated neutral density filter on my Canon 600D, which is used to balance the exposure within a scene. A lot of photographers use this filter as it allows you to have creative control of an image.   




















The surroundings in where we shot the scene particularly fit the narrative. A lot of the scenes were improvised around the setting. The environment where we shot the film was mainly grassy areas and there was a lot of litter and wood around which could be considered a hazard. As a photographer I was improvising the scenes. 
Prior to the shoot I would need to prepare what equipment I would be taking to shoot. To carry the equipment I would need bags so that all of the equipment was protected. It also would be much easier to transport the equipment from different locations. 


The location where I took the photographs I wasn't prepared of which equipment to take. Next time I would set up my tripod and take along more equipment that I would use for my shoot. The reason as to why I didn't set up with a tripod and full equipment was cause of permission. Next time I would seek permission to take photographs in this area. 
To transport my equipment to a set I would just use my car. 
Before taking all of my gear to a shoot I would need to prepare. For example I would need to be informed with what the weather would be like that day as I would need to make sure that my equipment would not get damaged. This could also affect which lenses I use for the day. I would need to know exactly which equipment I would be using before going to take the photographs.


4.1 & 4.2
The location would be one of the main health and safety issues. To ensure that it is a safe location to shoot at. A risk assessment would need to be carried out.
I would need to notify my boss and manager that I would be leaving the premises to take photographs and let them know where I will be taking them. I would also need permission from them before going over to take the photographs. When taking photographs it would be ideal to bring along my tutor or others.
It is important that I don't leave any equipment unattended at any time otherwise it could get stolen. When the equipment has been used it should be put back into a bag so that it is safe from getting damaged.

These photographs were taken from the shoot.





































No comments:

Post a Comment