Friday 8 May 2015

Unit 40

Unit 40 - Plan and Organise the Photographic Assignment

Be able to maintain good business practice when planning photographic assignments

1.1 
Identify good environmental practice relevant to the assignment
To make sure that good environmental practice is carried out whilst completing the relevant assignment it is important that health and safety is a major factor that is considered and followed in and around the workplace. Health and safety protocols should be put in place to ensure that all correct procedures are in place. As the project that I am doing is located in different places I will need to consider before taking photographs what health and safety measures need to be considered and what equipment it is that I am going to using in order to prepare. 

1.2 
Identify potential problems relevant to the assignment
Potential problems that could come up when shooting for this project could be taking photographs that have other people appearing in them or even in the background. I would need to have permission. For this I could ask them to complete a form or just get their written consent. Time could be considered as a problem and it would be important to plan out each hour so that you are able to get everything you need in the set time. Lack of equipment could be an issue as you may not get the photographs how you want them or up to a high standard. Renting or borrowing equipment would be ideal if you were wanting to capture high quality photographs for example if you were taking pictures on a slow shutter speed it would be crucial to use a tripod. Lighting will also need to be considered as you may need to use studio lighting or an external flash. Another issue that could be tripping or falling when taking photographs outside. The location that I am shooting at is inside with lots of electrical equipment around so it is important to take care when moving around in the sound pod. A risk assessment of the sound pod would need to be carried out before taking the photographs. 




Be able to carry out administrative arrangements for the photographic assignment

2.1 
Arrange activities in order of priority, to fulfill the photographic assignment 
Firstly I would need to plan what my aim was to achieve for the photographic assignment. I would need to organise and think through which types of photographs I want to take to achieve the objective of advertising and promoting the sound pod. Next I would organise a meeting with one of my colleagues to discuss some ideas of what types of photographs he wants and what information is included on the brochures/leaflets. We would also need to agree on a design for the project. I would then need to capture good quality photographs that can be used in the brochure/leaflet. I would then present my ideas to two or three of my colleagues to determine which photographs are going to be used. We would then take the brochures and photographs to Billingham press.

2.2 
Identify possibilities and constraints presented by non-studio locations
Although the photographs that I will be taking will not be taken outside of my place of work, there is other problems that could occur when taking photographs in non-studio locations. For example it may be difficult to find a location that is suitable for what you need; if you were taking photographs on private land or property then you would need permission. Other issues that could happen could be that it might be difficult to carry all of the equipment that you need to the place. Also if you needed certain equipment that is not suitable for outside use then you would have to think of some alternatives to use to get the best quality photographs. 

2.3 
Obtain relevant permissions to talk photographs
I had a conversation with my colleague about permission to take photographs. As I work with Tees Valley Music Service and I have spoken to my line manager about taking the photographs then then I don't particularly need permission to take the photographs. Although one idea was to take photographs of the children using the instruments in the sound pod. For this I would need to ask permission from each of their parents.

2.4 
Identify insurance requirements and conditions for photographic equipment and location 
When taking photographs in my work building then I am insured. If I was to take photographs outside of the building then I would also be insured but I would have to carry out a risk assessment. 









2.5 
Identify the photographic equipment needed to complete the assignment
The equipment that I am going to be using to carry out the project is my Canon 600D, Tripod, Neewer TT560 speedlite external flash, a softbox that attaches to the flash and light reflectors. The external flash has more power than an on board flash which means you can illuminate subjects at a greater distance. An external flash will help to bounce the light and add brightness to areas I want to focus on. Although some photographs look more effective when taken with a film camera, I will not need it for this project. 












2.6 
Make arrangements to acquire any equipment or material required, complying with organisational policies
As my workplace doesn't supply any photographic equipment I will be using my own gear. I would need to speak to my tutor about borrowing equipment if I needed it to carry out my assignment. Hypothetically speaking if I were to borrow equipment from work I would need to complete a form to say that it had been loaned out to me.

2.7 
Maintain records for all aspects of the assignment
For this I thought it would be a good idea to keep a diary of what tasks are doing on each day. Then I will be able to keep a record and see what I have done and what tasks are left that I still need to complete. Maintaining this will help me to be organised. 

Be able to liaise with relevant parties

3.1 
Work with relevant parties to resolve any questions about the assignments
To carry out my photographic assignment I would need to speak to my colleagues if any issues were to happen. There are many issues that could potentially happen when carrying out this assignment. One example is that there could be an issue with a parent not wanting their child to be photographed for the assignment, we would need to take the images so that the child wasn't in view of any of them. Another issue that could happen is that the photographs may be out of focus or blurry. If this was the case I would need to use a tripod. If the image quality was not as good or the photographs needed a bit of touching up I would use Photoshop. If any issues were to happen for example me and my colleagues weren't happy with the quotes that were given then we would need to discuss some an alternate printing company. 

3.2 
Identify the relevant dress code, behaviour and language for the assignment
The relevant dress code for the assignment is casual smart. I need to be comfortable when carrying out the assignment and not wearing anything too baggy, loose or something that is long and could catch on equipment. I would need to look smart when attending meetings. When liaising with employees and carrying out the assignment I would need to behave in a professional manner and make sure that I am professional. 

3.3 
Agree with relevant parties the arrangement for working together
As my colleague is set to a timetable I would need to discuss which days and what time I will be able to discuss and show him my work. It will also need to be organised when I will be able to complete my tasks. 

3.4 
Notify relevant parties in good time if it proves impossible to undertake assignments or resolve problems 
I would need to discuss with colleagues if I was unable to carry out the assignment. I would need to give them enough time so that it is possible to rearrange. If there was any issues with the task that has been given I would need to speak to my manager or my colleagues to be able to solve any issues that may happen.

3.5 
Maintain a professional approach with clients and other relevant parties
It is very important to be professional when around clients and other parties. If clients see us behaving in a professional manner, it is a positive to the business and gives the company a good name. It will also encourage clients to come to us in the future. It is also important to approach clients and other parties in a friendly manner as it makes the customer feel at ease and be comfortable. For example for this assignment I will be taking photographs in the sound pod with children so I would need to be speaking and acting in a professional but caring approach. 


Understand legislation, ethics and business requirements relevant to the photographic assignment

4.1
Identify key aspects of legislation relevant to the photographic assignment
Members of the public don't need a permit to take photographs in a public place. Although some places are prohibited and it would be an offence if you took photographs there. If you shoot on private land and you don't leave then it is trespassing. There is no general privacy laws in the UK but the UK courts have to take into account the European Convention on Human Rights, which gives everyone the right to respect for the private life. 
Relating to the photographic assignment a child does not have the legal capacity to consent, so a parent or guardian must do it for them on their behalf. Schools and other places like leisure centres usually have their own photographic restrictions. As the photographs I will be taken will be used for commercial, I will need to get a model release signed by the parents if children are featured in the photographs. 

4.2 
Identify aspects of codes of ethics/conduct relevant to planning and organising the photographic assignment
A code of conduct is intended to be a guide in day-to-day decision making. In our workplace and any organisation it clarifies their missions, values and principles. A code is also a tool to encourage discussions of ethics and improves how people deal with ethical dilemmas and prejudice areas that could happen. It complements relevant standards policies and rules. These are all relevant to the assignment. 
In my workplace there various values that the service follows.



4.3
Address any potential legal and ethical issues arising from the nature of the assignment
For the purpose of the assignment, there are a few issues that could be considered an issue. It needs to be put into careful consideration that some people may not want to be photographed, or their child to be. It is crucial that parents are aware that their child may be photographed. Ethical issues could include a lot of different things. Diversity could be an issue that is related to the photographic assignment. The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect, and understanding that each individual is unique. It is not acceptable to discriminate anyone and its highly important to treat everyone the same.

Understand health and safety requirements relevant to photographic assignments

5.1
Identify key aspects of health and safety legislation and regulations relevant to own work environment
This was covered in unit 10 1.1. It is important that hazards and risks are monitored and the correct procedures are put in place to avoid any problems in the work environment.

5.2
Identify appropriate action to minimise potential risks and hazards involved in the assignments
In Unit 6 & 10 I have already covered risks and hazards but for this assignment, there are a few hazards that need to be recognised. When in the sound pod there is a lot of electrical equipment around, so it is important to take care when around. No drinks or liquids should be taken anywhere near any of the equipment as this could be considered high risk and could damage expensive equipment. It is important that wires are not left laying around in the middle of the floor as anyone could trip over. Trip guards or cable ties could be used to ensure wires are grouped together. When leaving the room it is important to make sure that everything is put away so it doesn't cause any risk to others that will be using the room next.

4 comments:

  1. When identifying photographic eqipment use some images as well just to clarify to everyone what exactly you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4.1 what is the legislation actually called?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4.2 examples please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2.6 I appreciate your position with regard to equipment but just to show understanding in situations where you particualr work placement doesn't offer a practical solution please give a hypothetical answer based on research or even advice from someone who is in a position to give it.

    Overall the unit is very good. I would like to see more images and visual aids but the bulk of what is written seems to be sound. I'll check back when these actions are completed and give final feedback then I think we can put this one to bed.

    ReplyDelete